Teaching and Learning
Inspiring the Love of Learning
When you join Salcombe, you are joining not just an early childhood facility or a primary school but a way of life. Salcombe is a family School where your child will be cared for, valued and educated to the very best of our ability. Our goal is to inspire the Love of Learning in an environment where creativity, resilience, optimism, strength of character and wellbeing are nurtured.
Salcombe children benefit from gradual and integrated learning experiences which greatly assists them to achieve a smooth, seamless transition into and throughout the whole School. Salcombe's value laden environment enables children to feel confident, secure, resilient and optimistic and empowered to achieve their potential and prepare for a fulfilling life.
The Salcombe Curriculum
Our Salcombe curriculum acknowledges the special character of Salcombe whilst reflecting the National Curriculum. To Inspire the Love of Learning we seek to:
- provide a broad and balanced curriculum whilst focusing effectively on literacy, numeracy, articulacy and listening skills, skilful thinking and problem solving;
- meet the needs of our children in a changing world by developing the key competencies of thinking (using language, symbols and texts), managing self, relating to others and participating and contributing meaningfully;
- plan and teach in contexts that are challenging and meaningful to students, focusing effectively on literacy, numeracy, articulacy and listening skills, skilful thinking and problem solving;
- foster independent, life-long learning, whilst allowing for pupils differing abilities and aspirations, providing all with the opportunity to achieve their personal best;
- provide pupils with a wide range of learning opportunities in both academic and co-curricular areas of the School;
- develop positive attitudes towards and values of personal excellence, inquiry, equity of opportunity, community service, ecological sustainability, integrity and respect; and
- regularly review, evaluate and adapt our curriculum to ensure it continues to meet student needs and national requirements.