A rich heritage, strong academic traditions and sound foundations
1916: Salcombe Preparatory School opens under the headship of Miss Freda Deakin and later Miss Ethel Deakin, Salcombe was established in Hornsey, North London. The school began with eight "well-to-do" children. A short while later, the Misses Deakin moved their school to its new site at 8 Avenue Road, Southgate, which is just around the corner from the present Chase Side site.
1917: The advent of the zeppelin raids during 1917 meant that remaining in London became impossible and the decision was taken for the school to evacuate staff and pupils to Salcombe House, the Deakin family's country residence.
1918: At the end of WWI, the school and family relocated to Avenue Road, where Salcombe reopened in September 1918 with just fourteen pupils.
1924: A large classroom was added as Salcombe begins to grow.
1942: Houses on Chase Side were acquired in 1942 and 1945, followed by a hall which was built in 1969. The school had 140 boys and girls on the roll in 1973.
1975: The end of an era arrived in 1975. After a magnificent effort of fifty nine years as Salcombe Headmistress, Miss Ethel Deakin retired just two years before her death, in 1977, at the age of 84 years.
1977: Mrs Julia Flood and her husband, Mr Ernest Lawn now managed Salcombe. Mrs Flood, a former Salcombe teacher, became the Headmistress where she remained for 25 years, until her retirement in 1990.
1990: Salcombe was acquired by Asquith Court Ltd and the school's first Headmaster, Mr Anthony Blackhurst, began his tenure. Mr Blackhurst resigned in 1999 to take up a managerial post at Asquith Court Ltd.
1999: Mr Ari Guha, who had been a teacher at Salcombe and the Deputy Head responsible for the Curriculum, became Headmaster.
2004: The newly formed Cognita Schools Ltd acquired Salcombe along with other Asquith Court Schools. With the burgeoning of the Salcombe roll the 'Library', a Grade II listed building in Green Road, a short distance away, was purchased and Salcombe became a two-site school.
2009: Mrs Christina Leach becomes Head of Salcombe. Salcombe Pre-school (for 3-4 year olds) begins in newly adapted and bright accommodation on the Green Road site.
2013: Mrs Sarah-Jane Davies commences as Head of Salcombe Preparatory School. Sarah has worked at another Cognita school (Duncombe School) in a variety of roles including Associate Headmistress, Academic Deputy and Head of the Lower School since 2006.